Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Istanbul not Constantinople

     In this post I would first like to give a shout out to Kate, for being the inspiration for yesterday's meal. Kate shared a recipe with me, which I am still going to try, but it inspired me to try something else. As for the rest of my meals, I know you are all probably wondering why I keep making the same foods. I believe that my best reasoning is that they are tasty. I have been making a lot of veggie wraps for lunch and burritos for dinner. But they are all so simple to make and delicious to eat. Why fix something that isn't broken?

Monday's meals:
Breakfast- Cheerios with bananas and almond/coconut milk
Lunch- Veggie wrap
Dinner- Falafel in homemade pita pockets with tomatoes, cucumbers, avocadoes, and roasted garlic veganaise
falafel recipe(http://mideastfood.about.com/od/maindishes/r/bakedfalafel.htm)
pita recipe(http://mideastfood.about.com/od/breadsrice/r/pitabreadrecipe.htm)

Maybe I should stop taking pictures of my wraps. They all look the same...


The pita pockets didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but I found another recipe that I like better, so stay tuned for bigger and better pita pockets. I would have just used store bought pitas, but I just went grocery shopping before I decided to make them and didn't want to go back to the store. The falafels were quite tasty though. I definitely recommend them. Also if I had sesame seeds I would have made a nice tahini to go with. Maybe next time.





Tuesday's meals:
Breakfast- Pita bread and juice (Yes, this is a weird breakfast but it's what I ate. It was just that kind of morning)
Lunch- Leftover falafel, homemade hummus with cucumbers, carrots, and pita bread
Dinner- Tofu and veggie red curry over coconut brown rice


I made the hummus by putting a can of chickpeas (with some liquid from the can), olive oil, garlic, and salt&pepper into my food processor. It was decent, but not to die for. I think the quality of my food processor played a big role. It couldn't get all the little chunks as smooth as I would have liked. But overall a nice tasty snack. I might just opt for store bought hummus next time.


This dinner was probably my favorite so far. But I did take a little short cut. I used a jar of red curry sauce instead of making my own using coconut milk, curry powder, and anything else it requires. I cut up yellow and orange bell pepper, broccoli, mushrooms, potatoes, and tofu. I put them in a pan with the jar of "Thai Kitchen" red curry sauce and let them simmer until the vegetables were soft enough. While this was going on I had brown rice in my rice cooker cooking in a half coconut milk half water mixture. The rice was so creamy and flavorful and the curry was just plain awesome! I recommend this recipe to anyone!

I really appreciate comment and suggestions. So if you have recipes or just opinions I would love to hear them!

2 comments:

  1. Hi April! :)
    Your recipes are so creative and inspiring!
    Not sure if have already, but check out http://ohsheglows.com/ . It has so many super yummy recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I follow that blog! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete