Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Fathers Day!

      Happy Father's Day everyone! I posted a little collage of Brett and Simon pictures the other day, but I wanted to give a little shout out for my fathers today. I have been so incredibly blessed with the men in my life. I had a wonderful caring father, and after he passed I was blessed with the best bonus-dad anyone could ask for. I love you Billy, and I love you Daddy!

     Saturday was a pretty eventful day. It started out with me waking up and getting ready to go to Zumba. Only problem was that the Zumba class was cancelled and was instead being held after some parade in Rigby. But I had a nice 30 minute drive to start my day off. When I got home Simon was awake and Brett was feeding him breakfast. After he finished breakfast, I made some steel cut oats for myself and an omelet for Brett. After we had both finished eating we went on a family bike ride. It was such a nice way to start off a Saturday. I think we biked over 5 miles. My legs were feeling it at the end, and I was really glad. If I wasn't able to do Zumba I'm glad my legs could get a good workout.
     After getting ready for the day I packed up my stuff and headed to Rexburg for a baby shower and to do a facial for some college girls. I didn't get home until after 5, and Brett and I had been hoping to go on a date. We couldn't find a sitter, but decided to get dinner to-go and then watch a movie (Megamind, Brett's fathers day present) after Simon went to bed. 
     We went to Rumbi, island grill. It was so good! And they have tofu on their menu! It was a nice treat after driving around trying to find somewhere with good vegan options. There is one vegan-friendly restaurant in Idaho Falls and most of the dinners are around $25 or $30 a plate. So we decided to leave that for another time. 

Saturday's meals:
Breakfast: Steel cut oats with flax seeds and brown sugar
Lunch: Veggie wrap; lettuce, tomatoes, red and yellow bell pepper, and avocado wrapped in a tomato basil tortilla wrap.
Dinner: Hawaiian teriyaki tofu with grilled vegetables over coconut milk rice and red beans. Oh and it was accompanied by a delicious mango lemonade.

     Today was very nice. I had to play piano is sacrament meeting for the primary program. I was super nervous, but I at least ended the songs on the right notes. Then we went to a friends for a father's day BBQ. I brought some pasta salad, and that was the only vegan item there. I was really glad I brought something to share, otherwise I wouldn't have had anything to eat. 
     After the BBQ we went and visited Grandpa Ringel and Grandma Verdene. Simon really enjoyed being there and was having quite a fun time showing off. He's pretty darn cute. 
     Overall it was a really lovely Father's Day. Oh I almost forgot. Kitty was almost eaten today. Apparently our neighbor's (a few doors down) pit bull terriers know how to escape from their yard and wanted to enjoy kitty for their lunch. The neighbors across the street told me that they were chasing kitty all around our yard and cornered her several times. She managed to make it into a bush to hide where the dogs couldn't reach her. I'm just really glad she is okay. That would have been a very sad thing to happen on Father's Day. But besides that little ordeal it was a really nice day.

Sunday's meals:
Dinner: Pasta salad made with tomatoes, broccoli, red and yellow bell peppers, and italian dressing
Dessert: Vegan oatmeal cookies (http://ohsheglows.com/2010/09/11/the-ultimate-vegan-oatmeal-raisin-cookie/)


















The cookies turned out pretty good. I didn't have any raisins or anything yummy to put in them (I really need to find some vegan chocolate chips) but for being made without milk, eggs, or butter, I think they turned out pretty well. And I think Brett enjoyed them too.








     This weekend was a little trying on me. It is hard to go out to eat and see all the delicious options that I used to love. But I am really happy with how things are going. We will just have to do things like go bowling or watch a movie for our dates now, instead of going out to eat. It is just too painful.

     Well I hope you all are enjoying this journey with me. I know I am. Happy Father's Day to all the wonderful fathers and grandfathers out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment