Saturday, June 9, 2012

Days 1 and 2

One day down and I'm still alive! I would consider yesterday a success! My meals for the day: Breakfast-a delicious bowl of steel cut oats with pumpkin seeds, bananas, and chocolate soy milk.
Lunch- mostly just a bunch of snacks. Rice crackers with avocado,  almonds, fried rice (leftovers from dinner the night before). And I just realized there was a little tiny bit of egg in the fried rice... oops. Not totally in the habit yet.
Dinner- Absolutely delicious vegan enchiladas (recipe below) accompanied with brown rice, black beans, pinto beans, tomatoes, avocado and lettuce.

Vegan Enchiladas

  • 12 corn tortillas
  • 1 cup onions
  • 1 cup potatoes (boiled, peeled, and diced)
  • 1 cup canned beans, your favorite kind
  • 1 cup zucchini, diced
  • 1 cup olives, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon Lawry seasoning
  • 2 cups enchilada sauce, canned
  • 2 cups spaghetti sauce, from a jar
  • Non-stick spray (optional)
I didn't have any zucchini, so I found some green bell peppers and mushrooms and used those in it's place. Then just like you would with any other enchiladas, I mixed all the goods together put them in a tortilla with a little bit of sauce layered them in a casserole dish, poured the enchilada sauce (mixed with marinara sauce) over the whole dish and baked for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.



I do have to share a few funny stories that happened during the enchilada making process. As I was mixing all the delicious ingredients together I pulled the tortillas out of my cupboard only to realize that I only had 4. So I sent Brett to the grocery store to get more. While he was gone I let Simon explore and play in the kitchen and living room. I didn't think this would be a problem because I cleared the floor off. What I didn't think about what how tall my "little baby"has gotten. Well apparently he's tall enough to reach bowls of enchilada sauce on the counter and pull them off. And this little fiasco happened right before dad came home with this...


Yep, that's a gallon of cookies and cream ice cream. The very first day of my vegan diet. When I asked him why he bought this, he responded that he was being mischievous (the day earlier while at the grocery store he wanted to buy ice cream and I didn't let him. So he thought it would be funny if he got some on his solo grocery shopping trip). And when I kindly reminded him that I was starting my vegan diet that day and that excludes ice cream, he definitely felt some buyers remorse. So to make up for having to see that in my freezer we went to the grocery store the next day to get me a treat that I can enjoy.
Chocolate peanut butter soymilk ice cream. It is incredibly delicious. And I don't even feel left out of the ice cream eating festivities! 
While I'm at it I should just post how today went. Everything above was yesterday. Today my meals were: 
Breakfast- The same as yesterday. Steel cut oats with banana, pumpkin seeds, and chocolate soy milk. 
Lunch- A hand full of grapes.
Dinner- Left over enchiladas, but with refried beans instead of black and pinto. I also added some cilantro to the whole meal.
Dessert-Chocolate peanut butter soy milk ice cream. Mmmmmmm
Midnight(9:00) Snack- 2 apricots and a handful of rice crackers.

 I know that lunch looks pathetic. I accidentally skipped it. This is very uncommon and probably won't happen again. But I was busy working in Rexburg and all I had was a hand full of grapes at my friend Cortney's house. Anyways I ate dinner around 4:30 because of it, and not long after dessert I was ready for another snack.

 Oh and I was just realizing that I didn't put my weight or BMI in the last post. I will let you all know so that I can more effectively track my progress. (Again, try not to judge) I am starting out this process weighing 150 lbs. with a BMI of 29. My goal is to get my weight and BMI in the normal zone. Hoping to be around 125, with a BMI of 24. 


I have been truly enjoying the beginning of this journey and am excited about what the future holds!



No comments:

Post a Comment